Fatttush / Mixed Herbs and Toasted Bread Salad
- 1 medium pita bread, opened up at the seam to have two disks, toasted until golden brown and broken into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp Adonis sumac
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g gem lettuce, outer damaged leaves discarded, cut across in 1 cm strips
- 100 g springs onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 300 g mini cucumbers, sliced in medium-thin half circles
- 300 g firm red tomatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 200 g flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch), most of the stalks discarded, coarsely chopped
- 100 g mint (1/2 bunch), leaves only, coarsely chopped
- 100 g purslane (1/2 bunch), leaves only
- Sea salt
Put the broken up toasted bread in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the Adonis sumac all over. Add the oil and mix well. This should stop the bread from quickly becoming soggy once it is mixed with the salad.
Put the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl. Add salt to taste. Add the seasoned bread. Mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve immediately.